HOW TO MAKE SOURDOUGH BAGUETTES

• on September 3, 2021

In this video, I show you how to make sourdough baguettes. They have a light, airy crumb, and perfectly crispy crust, making them a must-try recipe! VIEW THE …

Comments

• This recipe did not work for me, way, too wet added a bit more flour and baked them anyway. Tasted good, but way too dense

Beth Bilous September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • does this dough rise at all whiel resting? I just made food geeks recipe and might never rose at all, and my sourdough starter was perfectly ripe. I will NOT make his recipe again, I would like to try yours, but I am so tired of throwing out the dough. Tell me I should make your recipe.

Beth Bilous September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Please send me the recipe Thank You

Lynnette Siegl September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • The lava rocks with the pie pan with holes is a smart idea!!😍

Lola M. September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Can I use also a starter with rye flour?

Daniel Schelter September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • I have one suggestion: It would be helpful at the beginning of the video to post the total time needed to make the baguettes, including starting the levain.

Mrs. Sprat September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • So cool! I've not seen this lava rock steaming hack, is that you're own cleverness?? Will that work with sourdough loaves if you don't have a dutch oven?

Chase Davidson September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply

Rezepte Silkeswelt September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • If you were to just double everything in this recipe, would that work? I struggle to understand how to scale recipes like these.

Mike B September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • So by the time I did 6th fold my dough became almost runny. It looked like all the gluten strands just fell apart and it all went to shit. Did everything exactly as per video but this didn't work for me at all.

piachu1 September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • it’s a lot of steps ! is it there an quicker / easier way ?

Drielly Souza September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • I can’t find proper lava stones in Germany. What can I use instead ?

R kay September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • In Germany you buy Sour dough liquid to use directly. Is it possible to use it for your recepies? Thanks for help.

R kay September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Hey Charlie,
    Can you put these in the fridge for a cold proof overnight after you shaped them, and then bake in the morning?

Reinaart Vansichen September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • I’m doing the stretch and folds now. I’m finding I have very little stretch in my dough. I can barely get in 3 stretches….mine seems far less wet than yours despite my following the directions exactly. Any thoughts?

Kim McGreivy September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Been follow your basic sourdough for many times and never fail, Just made this today and they are so good, thank you Charlie for sharing this wonderful recipe. Always love watching your video, clear and easy to understand, and not long video which i like so much.

Hoying Cheng September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Question:) at some point before or after the stretch and folds/coil folds can I hold the dough in the fridge for, let’s say 15-20 hours ? Prior to shaping? Or is that a hard no? Thank you!!!

Chef Swole September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Fantastic

Chef Swole September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Again a great video Chef! I'm curious to know though: this recipe is fairly similar to the basic sourdough one. However, the baguette has longer proofing at lower temperatures and no retarding. How would the end result be different if I would apply the basic sourdough recipe and shape and bake them as baguettes?

Bart Geerling September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Charlie, first of…THANK YOU for your teaching tutorial. I learn a lot about sourdough baking and most importantly, the JARGON. You’re the only one I came across who EXPLAINED the how’s, when’s, and …
    So, today I ventured into my first sourdough baking. Question: on your screen, it showed 375g flour. On the link below, it was 475g. Am I not understanding something Charlie? Please verify because my dough is stiffer than yours. Thank you 🙏

Phuong Kern September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Just so I'm understanding this correctly, in the beginning when you mixed the "mature starter" with the WW and W flour, does that mean that the starter wasn't active and was taken out from the fridge? Also, would it matter if I revive it with only white flour? Thanks

tony mujito September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • followed this to the letter and it was too wet. dough never stopped sticking up to and after resting in the couche. when I transferred it to the baking tray it also stuck to the transfer board, even though I had thoroughly floured everything. I generally modify recipes when this happens but in this case I did not. It is tasty though. I'd have to add more flour next time (or less water) and do a less labor intensive rise.

grindleb September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • The first time I tried this recipe, the baguettes turned out great. It must have been beginner's luck because ever since then I have had nothing but trouble. Problems start during the bulk fermentation. As I am coil folding the dough, it gets progressively weaker and weaker until by the final fold, it is a goopy mess. What's going wrong? I use a proofing box or oven with the light on @75 degrees but still the problem persists.

Roxanne Kellison September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Can I retard in fridge if yes when? When I take it out must I let it raise for some times before baking?

Dominique Hamel September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Great job, have to do so quickly

Maciej Burzyński September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Ingredient list above is missing starter.

Adriana Gutierrez September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply
  • Hi, I've seen a few other videos how to make sourdough baguettes and they said after the 4th folding, cover and let it rest overnight in the fridge, then shape it the next morning. Do you think it's better to proof it overnight? Thanks

Bella September 3, 2021 12:58 pm Reply