Barnes Takeout: Art Talk on Pierre-Auguste Renoir's The Luncheon

• on June 10, 2022

Martha Lucy, deputy director for research, interpretation and education, looks closely at this beautiful painting depicting warm …

Comments

• I am so happy to have found you. I have been a fan of the late Dr. Barnes for many years. Being an artist I really do admire his passion of teaching, especially in his time. I think we would all be better off emotionally if large employers would take time to allow learning of all art forms in their buisnesses.

Tamaya Garner June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • What a joy on a cold and cloudy day! I just found this series and started at the beginning. I'll be binge watching to catch up for sure. However, it is delightful to just soak in the painting in all its glory. Thank you!

Ruth Hendry June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you very much to this short but very interesting lecture.

Merce LLoveras June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you so much. This time during my day when I watch the takeouts is one of my favorites!

Maralyn Hirschenbaum June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you for doing this! …  I love "The Luncheon."  One of my favorite paintings in the museum, and one of my favorites by Renoir.

MrDan5702 June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • These are lovely distractions. Thank you. The Barnes is a fabulous museum. Looking forward to more.

Bob Readerman June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • One of the most interesting paintings at the Barnes, in my humble opinion, is Galcken's "Woman in Green Turban." Would it be possible to give a talk about that piece? Who is she? Tell us about the green color paint that he uses, which is a little like Van Dongen's green that he used in so many of his portraits. I really enjoy your talks in particular, Ms. Lucy,, as you ask thought provoking questions and get the viewer involved in thinking about their answers.

Linda J June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • It was originally Renoir ’s work, famous for its beautiful colors

1#Genius Thinker June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Excellent discussion

ha319a June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • WOW I am so glad to see a video without all the HATERS from merion!!!!

GIRLRAZR June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • This lovely Renoir painting is new to me. It does look like an early forerunner of “The Luncheon of the Boating Party”. After hearing your observations, I wondered if this was the interior dining room of the inn where the “Boating Party” was painted. Also, the color and wave-like pattern of the wallpaper (maybe stencil work) in the background adds to the marina ambience of the room.
    The eye contact between the diners, as well as their postures conveys a sense of pleasant relaxation with each other. The warm yellow background is inviting and helps the viewer vicariously anticipate a meal soon to be shared.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this painting.

Mary Tumulty June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Always a treat to see with your eyes, Martha! Can't wait to continue watching this series

nsaligram1 June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • thank you!

David Paniccia June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Is the name pronounced ren-Wah or rer-nwah?
    The name is divided thus: Re Noir
    instead of REN OIR
    The RE should sound like the French words Je or Le.

The colors on the tureen are reflections of the baguette and other nearby objects in the silver.
    What is the mass of dark blue in the lower left corner?
    Why is it there? What is its function in the composition?
    How would its absence affect the composition?

Is one character more prominent?
    Or have they been painted in such a way that they are equally prominent?
    How was that achieved?
    Objects are not included or positioned in a painting arbitrarily.
    What function does the position of the baguette and the knife play?
    What function does the frieze above the wainscoting play?
    This is the sort of analysis I was looking for in a discussion of the painting.

Renzo June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • I loved the talk and your enthusiasm. This is not a criticism, but a request. I think more can be said about the items on the table, especially the silverware and the bread. To my undereducated eye, they appear to be leading lines. I want to add another view to the mix, that the two are in-between words — could that be?

Lorin Duckman June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • I love these daily talks. If you keep this up after Pandemic I would renew my membership.

Trish Oelrich June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Loving these thoughtful observations of the beautiful artworks! Thank you!

Allyn Zygmund-Felt June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • these are fantastic! thank you.

trish hooven brown June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! Thank you, Martha. Much enjoyed your analysis of the painting and the conversation therein. I, too, look forward to more Barnes "Take-outs"

trit1801 June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Wow this presentation was fantastic! I am blown over by the wine glasses. The ability to look at this painting so closely is amazing. Thanks so much to the Barnes Foundation for this programming. This is almost like being in a Barnes class. Cannot wait until you reopen the collection!

Amber Pallante June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you!!! Barnes Take Out is a wonderful project, totally enjoyable!

Hildy Jaffe June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you, Martha!! Such a pleasure.

David Michael June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • This is a wonderful and a great idea. Would the Barnes foundation consider doing one of these daily take-outs for younger children, combining visual thinking strategies looking at different themes, techniques etc. Thanks.

Robert Mccallum June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • This painting is an instant virtual trip to France – only wish I could pick up the baggette, pull off a hunk and butter it! Thank you for this talk and the close ups of the brush strokes. Very illuminating.

Sarah T Darrow June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thanks so much!

Lee Welsford June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you! This was a delightful diversion to the day. And gives me energy to go work on the Van Gogh Irises puzzle on my dining room table!

Bibiana Boerio June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Marget and Fred Bluefeld We received the youtube invitation to watch the Barnes Takeout about The Luncheon with Martha Lucy, it was wonderful, we settled down with a glass of wine and were enthralled with the explanation of the details of the painting. We are often in the gallery and I can say I have no recollection of this painting! I hope you are able to open soon to have a closer look. Martha, did we hear young children in the background? how nice.

Marget Bluefeld June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you, Martha! Great kick-off for Barnes Takeout! Looking forward to tomorrow! Stay well.

Ronna Kaufmann June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Awesome Sauce!

BriarPatchVideo June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • I love this series idea and I look forward to the next one. Thanks so much.

Tina Currado June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you. See?? There is a silver lining in all this crazy! THIS is one of the many reasons I love the Barnes and why I keep coming back for more. I truly can not get enough! I have shared the Take Out invitation to all my friends on FB. I really wanted to share with them a glimpse of the jewel that I talk about do frequently with them.

Brava to the teacher….you did a magnificent job!

Again, many thanks.

Kathy Fucci June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • I suggest that the small box showing the speaker be deleted after the presenter's introductory remarks. I find it distracting as well as covering a part of the painting, disturbing the powerful overall effect of the painting. The concept is to be applauded and I look forward to the forthcoming daily respite from the news.

Al Gilens June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Wonderful. What a treat!

carol gladstone June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • Had to cancel our visit to the Barnes 1 day before school went into lockdown…how wonderful to have this presentation! (and others to follow); grand merci!

Rita Davis June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply
  • This is wonderful. I'm an art teacher Pre-K -8th grade, I would love to share some of these with my students since I am teaching remotely. Did you ever think of a "kid" inspired one? I could share this one, but the gallery shot with the nudes, might get my parents in a little of an uproar.

Kenna Pearson June 10, 2022 12:43 pm Reply