The Role of Food Advertisements in the Obesity Epidemic

• on June 10, 2022

We all like to think we make important life decisions like what to eat consciously and rationally, but if that were the case we …

Comments

• I know that I am very easily led. I just don’t do TV. It’s a land mine of bad choices. If I’m reading and the characters have tea, I want tea. I adored cookbooks from Nancy Drew, the Hobbit, Narnia, you name it I’ve got it. That is why I’m sitting here eating steel cut oats, an orange and a date. And watching this. I also watch before going grocery shopping. Fill your subconscious with the thoughts that will serve you well.

Phoebe Graveyard June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • As someone who toiled in the industry for years, I believe all commercial food advertising should be banned outright. Unless and until society is protected from the many forms of food product fraud ('contains real fruit,' 'all natural ingredients,' etc., etc.) unscrupulous advertisers should not be given license to manipulate consumers into making unhealthy, potentially lethal choices.

Ray Staar June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Brilliant

runninblue June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • So revealing, thanks for shedding light on the truth!

Vasco Amaral Grilo June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Not that I don’t love to see the good doctor, but I prefer the older video style where I was able to read the report along with the video.

Gypsy Path June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • That's one of the benefits of a plant based diet I can ignore most aisles with the junk food. Maybe my new motto will be: If it ain't on TV it must be good for me😉🌽🍄🌶🍅🍅🍇🍐

Silvia Monz June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Hclf vegan work more than most another thigh

partofme22 talk June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Another psychological operation probably assisted by the CIA

dc plantbased June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • شكرا

محمد سالم June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Yep, that's why I stopped watching TV some 15 years ago, or so. In order to preserve my mental health and sanity. The repetitiveness an idiocy of most commercials wasn't bearable for me anymore, being exposed to it organically since childhood, my tolerability to that utter retarded BS has reached its limit. It's always possible to stream or download your favorite shows and movies and watch them at home sans idiotic, brainwashing, scare mongering and indoctrinating commercials. Like chocolate pouring from one side and hazel nuts rolling from the other clashing and splashing in the middle all in a slow motion…! Like WTF? Is that supposed to impress anybody? It does, apparently, otherwise we wouldn't see it on TV over and over again. But who do they make these things for, people with IQs in the low 70's?

Michelle Visage OnlyFans June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Can you do a video about moringa +-?

Taylor Moon June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • This is a case of having a firm grasp of the obvious. Advertising sells. Yes, so? If advertising didn't sell, then people and corporations wouldn't advertise. Sometimes just showing a photo of a big juicy burger is enough to whet the appetite of a viewer so that she will go out and buy one. Corporations sell junk food because people buy it. Junk food tastes good, even if it's not good for you. For most people a sausage and pepperoni pizza tastes better than broccoli with a hummus dip. But it's not just big corporations that advertise. Small business owners do too.

Frodojack June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • People still believe his vegan propaganda while he looks like a twig and has smaller biceps than a 12 year old girl.

First Gear June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • What is the impact to the healthcare industry? Who ends up profiting? Who ends up paying? Some argue that US healthcare is in "crisis" because of poor people. But how much of the "crisis" is caused by preventable diseases as a result of what we eat?

Rich Martinez June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • You really pro vac dr ??!!

Diani Postma June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • One topic I would love to see discussed is how do people on a whole-food plant-based diet die naturally?

KA 237 June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • I just want to say thank you for putting How Not To Die for such a good price on Amazon right now. For those who don’t know, the Kindle edition is only $4 for the next few days. I would’ve been willing to buy it full price to support you and your team, but now I can offer to buy it for family members. 💓

L. G. June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • How not to die? Changed my life

Rishitha B June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • "To think for oneself, is to discipline the mind from the falsehoods of the subconscious mind"

More Salad June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Info like this needs to reach more people. I'm sick of living amongst such a wide collective unconscious -.-

John Andronis June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Hey Dr. Michael Greger, of topic of this video, but if you ever read this, what would you recommend a person with a brain tumor eat. I know, I know, whole food plant based, but what could boost healing the most and what could stump healing the most, and when would you see the most results. Thank you for reading this if you ever do.

Daisy Miya June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • I agree that food marketing needs to be controlled to make advertisers honest. Cereal was marketed to children as “Part of a complete breakfast”. No child heard the “part of”, all they heard was “it’s a complete breakfast”.

Orange Ziggy June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • I agree with most points but the study about the wines was dodgy. Judging by the number of bottles sold it was a fairly small and short study, meaning maybe those days when French music was played more people came with the intention of buying wine. Maybe a longer study would prove it but for now correlation does not equal causation.

Damjan Manevski June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • You’re the best! Thanks for all you do.

Ed Riley June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply
  • Funny / possibly revealing story: people at my work bring and eat in a central dining area their ham and cheese sandwiches, frozen meat dinners, meat and cheese burgers; then i bring my frozen ready to steam in a bag veggies and vegan home made quinoa and lentils curry with me, put the steamed veggies on top and start eating, people come in and comment how good it smells and looks lol

themax2go June 10, 2022 4:54 am Reply