What's the Recipe for a Recipe?

• on June 12, 2022

Tracing the links between recipes, diet, prescriptions, cosmetics, and pharmacies from ancient and medieval periods to the …

Comments

• Love this! Thank you!

Rebecca Suerdieck June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • As far as I know there's no definite document proving the red lines on the barber come from their history as surgeons, but I will have to investigate further I guess to clear my doubts. Also, Ms Beetons recipe for milk was really bad cause it was basically flour, and it suggested using a bulbous bottle that was difficult to clean so it was really easy to contaminate. So, just like any other magazine it didn't help that much xDDD

Mangito June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • πŸ€” I would suggest, that the simplest answer to the question in the title of this video is "XP".πŸ˜‰

Patric Hausammann June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Love you and thank you for being you 🌍🌎🌏 πŸŒπŸ€β­β­ ⭐⭐ β­πŸ€πŸ€©

Sidney Julia Harden June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸŒπŸŒπŸŒŽβ­β­πŸ‘οΈ

Sidney Julia Harden June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN WAITING ON MY KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR
    BORN AGAIN VIRGIN HELLO ROMEO

Sidney Julia Harden June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I would make another sugggestion for the word "disease" too: "dis-" > "de-" {un-} "-sane" {healthy} > "unhealthy" >> "sick". Good job about the handle (>ANSA)! Have a look at the two words "ANSA" and "SANA" ! Can you see the pun? It might have, like you mentioned in the video, the meaning of having the hands akimbo, for "doing nothing"(>can't move πŸ€•), but I also think, that it is about having the hands on the stomach(>abdomen)🀣. It looks to me like the visualisation of "being sick". πŸ€•/ 🀒

πŸ¦…πŸŒŸπŸŒžβœ¨πŸ•Š
    πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’» Β© by P. Hausammann πŸ¦„πŸŒ›πŸ° 🌜🦁

Patric Hausammann June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • This is all fascinating. BTW, the receipt didn't strike me as Canadian, so I had to look at it more closely. It looks like you hiked the Swiss Alps a few years ago?

Jonathan Rogers June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Fascinating!

1stAmbientGrl June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • So glad I found your channel, and I am definitely going to be catching up on your older videos! I love seeing how we got where we are, and from what I'm seeing, you do a wonderful job of building connections, not just giving a linear etymology. Way more interesting. Also, I write fantasy. Creating cultures is a lot easier if you can get some inspiration from the messy, complicated, abundant, utterly fascinating history of how cultural connections happen in this world. πŸ™‚ So I am really looking forward to this! (PS, hi from Kingston *waves north-west*)

prysmcat June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • hmmmmm. well it is interesting how one can look at things from a totally different angle and end up with a different perception of human behaviour.
    i have been into plants when in my 20's became a professional gardener (now 67), after geography degree at 37, then in 2002 onwards engaged with a herbal medicine degree
    being one to delve deep – the old melancholic – which originally meant a thinker – cos if one thinks too much it can get a person down – being alive as a human being!! – enough to make anyone melancholic hahahaha! the sound of a crazy woman laughing manically
    i became interested in the origins of herbal medicine and dove into hunter gatherers – and having always been an observer of gender and how it manifests in human society, came to realise that, in general, men hunt and women gather
    so to me – women play with plants and men use knives – women cook, distil, preserve and heal, and men herd and use knives for the benefit of cutting diseased or otherwise flesh
    my biggest problem with your info is that is that it is about recipes – and who would have written many years ago – certainly not ordinary people
    so all the info is basically from the middle and upper classes lives, who had others who 'do' for them, growing, herding and making food and medicines.
    food and herbal medicine are to me the same thing – that at different times of the year we are given food by nature that accords with the energy that we need at that time of year and that where one lived would have provided an intimate knowledge of the surroundings and how to use it for our benefit
    people didn't just wander about, they seem to have had a specific circular route that would sustain them year round and with an unimaginable knowledge of the world around them including looking upwards
    i love the fact that hippocrates actually stated that for anyone who practises medicine without taking account of the position of the stars is a fool.
    and culpepper was so successful as an astrological practitioner of medicine that his books still survive today – he practised on the site of what is now the red lion in spitalfields market
    and as women, ( who played with plants – women gather whilst men hunt) were ignored by the male normans, apart from as a play thing – here is paragraph 54 from the magna carta 1215 'no-one shall be arrested or imprisoned upon the appeal of a woman for the death of anyone except her husband' – so lets ignore them women – beasts of burden, givers of babies
    so womens craft or cunning – excepted by henry the eighth as a danger as he was so obsessed with having an heir, he stated in his charter not allowable to practise using herbs for abortions- so their craft was not considered very highly except when it affected men
    lets not forget that when the first woman voted in this country late 1800's because her house was worth more than Β£10 ( a prerequisite to vote), the ability for women to vote was then afterwards declared illegal
    so i am a little bored (don't mean to be rude) with the little understood place that women hold in medical history with relation to food and medicine
    sorry just thought i would say – how our information gives us such a different take on life – after all what goes on inside my head is just penny land – i only hold my own truth – and i am quite harmless!!
    but thanks for the chance to vent!!
    sincerely penny

penny waters June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I was having a wonderful time up to 10:30. I simple wasn't prepared to endure feminazi propaganda in this generally, higher order, presentation. How much do you get paid to keep beating that drum? The sexual revolution was a disaster, allow the dust to settle already.

VerminP Crock June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I'm (as always) just curious but do you have access to the OED online? I did for a while and I loved it, My county library thought the cost was too much and so they cancelled their (and therefore also my) subscription.

George Mueller June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Thank you for such an entertaining and educational video! I will try to work this into my history of medicine teaching. Over at H-Nutrition, I got a bunch of historians to write about what their favorite recipe tells us about the history of nutrition for What is a Recipe? You can read more at https://networks.h-net.org/node/134048/pages/180848/what-recipe-h-nutrition-discussion-center

Kristen Ann Ehrenberger June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • There were a couple of Canadian pictures in there. Are you guys from Canada?

Jean-François Bilodeau June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I like your new glasses (bit of a random comment sorry). I got a new pair myself recently.

Saxo Ungrammaticus June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • When speaking of boutique coming form Apotheke, you missed "bodega", meaning wine shop or cellar, that could reinforce all those connections. Also you spoke about women's magazines, that comes from the arabic makhazin, with the exact same meaning as Apotheke.
    Anyway, great video, and thank you for producing this excellent channel.

Felipe Plattek June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Great content as always. You never fail to make those connections that amaze me. I really wish we can get more viewers of the great work you do. But I do need to say I'm not a fan of the 2 speaker back and forth. It's not a recommended practice for the presentation of info. The listener's ear is jarred, on the switch – especially when focus on the graphics. It's not reccomend need for business presentations either as a reference. Maybe take turns by video?

Coach Vuolde June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I loved Liam Neeson in Receptum!

Seiban June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Very nice presentation. As someone who has been a virtual chef and has over 400 cookbooks and had a father and grandfather who were doctors, I found it very interesting. I'll have to go back and watch it another time or two but I remember hearing you talk about the times of year to eat certain foods and it reminded me of Eastern medicine and balancing yin and yang etc. Also, I don't know if you've ever read Witold Rybczynski's HOME but in the section where he is giving the evolution of the word COMFORT he talks about either eating or being seated "above the salt" at a Medieval dinner. Do you know what (and why) this means? Thanks for a delightful video.

George Mueller June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • My favourite part of the knot yet. Great job.

Urinstein June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Love these videos!

Patrick Egan June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Your videos and podcasts are always like a breath of fresh air, they are always so educative and also relaxing. They have a great atmosphere.

Andrei Orasanu June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I get so excited watching these videos! I love learning how words are related to each other so much!

latronqui June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Great video! Very interesting!

alltoohuman01 June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Great video both! There must be huge amount of research going into these, good work. πŸ™‚

Dom Burgess June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Rx in astrology is used for Retrograde motion…maybe…just maybe, you could take that on account. Thank you, I do appreciete your work a lot!

Carlos Arias June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Today I finished my last day teaching English to foreign learners. I loved playing these Etymological games with my students and I even used a few from your videos. Thanks for the diligent research!
    -Will

Exploring History June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • This is still not as satisfying as watching the history of Proto-Indo-European.

Jaeden van der Berg June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • .

Jaeden van der Berg June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • Love your videos!

TheBlueFairie June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • more collaboration please, wonderful

Aharon Varna June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply
  • I really like this collaboration πŸ™‚ more of this please!

Willem van de Beek June 12, 2022 7:48 pm Reply