Why do we eat Turkey at Thanksgiving?

• on June 12, 2022

The #etymology & origin of the #Turkey, and what its history tells us about #Thanksgiving, colonialism, globalization, and guinea …

Comments

• A correction: "kalkoen" is associated with the trading city Calicut, in Kerala rather than Calcutta.

Alliterative June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • I knew about the animal but I didn't know about it's connection to the turquoise rock. : D

Mangito June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Hot damn! You provide us with so much information, but it's in the way you present that allows me retain the experience. Thank you, Bruv.
    Live. Love. Be. Believe.

Xero_Chance June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • The Turanians were said to be an Iranian people in the Avestan age who inhabited the lands to the northeast of modern Iran as far north as the Ural Mountains and as far easy as the Altai Mountains. According to Firdowsi’s Shahnameh, they were named after Tur, one of the three sons of King Fereydun.

It has been proposed that when nomadic tribes from Siberia made their way south, they encountered the Turanians whom they conquered and from whom they adopted the Turanian name and mythology as their own. These people are said to have become the “Turkic” people… and possibly explains the origins of the word “Turkey”?

I would like your thoughts on these proposals.

Syrus Eye June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Wow i did not abput this

The Black Phoenix June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • It seems apparent that the Pilgrims thought of themselves as being pilgrims, since the first child born after they reached North America was named Peregrine White.

Doc Clabo June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Because they show up in the yard when the acorns start to drop?

moodist 1er June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • In Armenian the word for turkey is հնդկահավ [hindkahav] which translates to Indian hen. Also, the word for corn (maize) is եգիպտացորեն [egyptacoren] which translates to Egyptian wheat.

shatarev June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • In Ukrainian turkey is "indyk" which refers to India and guinea pig is "morska svynka" – sea pig, apparently because of the way they got to Europe.

Olek June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Wooww western Christianity is kinda backwards… thnaksgivings observed with fasting? Sure…

yaicob.com June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • You missed some fun details. Peregrine White was the first baby born in Plymouth. And I humbly suggest you check out Edward Winslow's "Good newes from New-England" and tweak some of your Thanksgiving jive. Turkey. https://archive.org/details/goodnewesfromnew00wins

VV Endivura June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Fascinating stuff!! In Portuguese the word for the bird Turkey is Perú.

Marcelo Carvalho June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • I learned a great deal from this video, but it seems to be a commonly repeated myth that Benjamin Franklin proposed that the turkey be the US National Bird. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/american-myths-benjamin-franklins-turkey-and-the-presidential-seal-6623414/

Jonathan Rogers June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Pilgrim and peregrine have the same root!? Yet another ornithological connection. Mind is blown!

Adam from Iowa June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Thanks! I always wondered what was the relation between turkeys and Turkey, and what was Thanksgiving really about. Now I want to learn where the Spanish word for turkey (pavo) comes from. Did you know that peacocks are called 'pavo real' in Spanish? it means royal turkey. And Guinea pigs are called 'conejillos de Indias': little rabbits from the Indies. But where I come from, Chile, it's more common to call them 'cuy' or 'cuye', the pre-columbian name. And we use 'conejillo de Indias' figuratively, as someone being used for an experiment. Oh, and when kids go through puberty and look and act really awkward we say they are going through 'la edad del pavo', the age of the turkey.

latronqui June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • In Polish guinea pig is called świnka morska, literally "sea piggy"' as a short for original świnka zamorska "the overseas piggy"
    Oh, and turkey is indyk derived from India, or more precisely from Latin indicus, as in gallus indicus "Indian rooster".

Artur M. June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • I just found out that 'peru' is the Portuguese word for 'turkey'. I wonder if this similarity to the name of the South American country also came about by association with secret trade routes.

G. T. June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • hahaha I adore your videos and wonder why the don't have many more thousand of viewers.
    I see that a Turkish viewer has already written about the name of the turkey and the corn in Turkish. I, being Bulgarian, which means that my ancestors were being in the Ottoman Empire for 500 years, will add that in some Bulgarian dialects both the turkey and the corn are called мисир, мисирка, which means Egypt in Turkish 🙂
    Also a Guinea pig is called морско свинче (sea piglet) in Bulgarian which has been a mystery to me for many years until i found out it's called zamorac in Croatian (another South Slavic language) which means something form over the sea…:) So probably some hundreds of years ago it was called отвъдморско свинче or overseas piglet in Bulgarian…

Thank you for these great explorations of language and history and myth! I really really enjoy them immensely

mustak324 June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Turkey in Malay is Ayam Belanda, which literally means dutch chicken. Idk why lmao

Staint12 June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • Similarly, when corn (maize) was first brought to central Europe (Habsburg Empire), it was known as 'turkish wheat'.

Petra Pajtak June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • 11:47 I thought it said fuck

Sean Dyer June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • I love you videos, they're so informative!
    And if I may add: The Turkish word for the turkey bird is 'hindi' which is also our word for India.
    and our word for corn is 'Misir' which is also our word for "Egypt."

Osmanika June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply
  • In Finnish a turkey is a kalkkuna. It's interesting to see how words travel and change to fit the pronunciation of different peoples.

Lawrence H June 12, 2022 12:26 am Reply